[cctbxbb] Debian Package

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 7 14:27:31 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM, Radostan Riedel
<raybuntu at googlemail.com> wrote:
> But we don't want to overlook you and give some of our work back into the main
> project.
>
> We have a few patches to give back upstream that would really help us and
> hopefully help to increase the cctbx user community.

Thanks for investing your time in this.  We agree that it would be
very helpful in making CCTBX more accessible - our main concern is
that any changes not impact the existing projects which depend on it
(Phenix, Olex2, CCP4, LABELIT, etc.), including the ability to support
these on all current platforms*.  Within this constraint, in principle
we're happy to accept any changes that you feel would be worth
incorporating.  This should be done slowly and incrementally;
conservative modifications that don't modify the default behavior
should go first, but I suspect you will eventually need access to our
testing systems in Berkeley in order to run tests.  Obviously you
should be working from the trunk when you do this.  I noticed that
you've also modified the ccp4io_adaptbx tree, which is kept on our
local SVN (for reasons that are obscure to me); we can deal with that
later**.

A random aside: we will be switching to building against the Boost
release branch very soon.  Not sure if this affects you or not.

> But if we can count on the shlib versioning as mentioned here[5] it would help
> us and other developers a lot. Libtool should be available on most systems,
> works with common compilers and it provides the quasi standard for versioning
> shlibs.

This is one point that came up in discussion here: how will this
impact Mac?  Apple's libtool appears to be an entirely different
beast.  Or will your changes only affect Linux right now?

-Nat

(* At the moment, this means Fedora 3 or newer using gcc [and Intel's
compiler, I guess, but we're less firm on this]; Mac OS 10.4 or later
using Xcode 2.4 or later, including both PPC and Intel; and Windows XP
or newer using VC++ 8.0 or newer.  And Python 2.4-2.7 in any case.)
(** It looks like you're building against gpp4 instead of the ccp4
libs - or is it in addition to ccp4?  I suspect this may be
problematic in the long term.)