[cctbxbb] Debian Package

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Thu Aug 9 10:06:21 PDT 2012

>> On the one hand, libboost_python.so on Linux [...] is not directly linked to libpythonx.y.so. [...]
>
> on gentoo it is.

Shall I understand that you patch our code to achieve that?

> [...]
>
> But we take very strongly care of correct linking, as we are support
> parallel installation of all python versions from 2.4-3.2 with all
> having their own boost_python-*.so

I understand it matters a lot then indeed. We can afford to be lazy because we ship one single version of boost_python.so

>> extensions that are loaded by Python at runtime, and then of course the
>> Python exec is linked to libpythonx.y.so. So we first need to understand
>> why the gold linker complains for libscitbx_boost_python but not
>> for libboost_python or for any of the cctbx Boost Python extensions that
>> directly use the Python API. I must admit I don't have a clue here. And
>> then considering what you both told me, we need to fix the problem upstream.
>
> [...] But I think we should try to ensure that
> libscitbx_boost_python and friends are correctly linked to
> libboost_python.so. This won't harm in best case and is required in
> worst case.

Ok. I can't think of any such friends right now in fact!

> And on gentoo as well as on all other distros which support multiple
> python ABIs to be installed, we need to ensure that the correct soname
> is recorded so that the correct python ABI version of libboost_python is
> loaded.

One of the patch proposed by the Debian team aims at that goal if I understood correctly (0007-adding-shlib-versioning).

Luc