[cctbxbb] Debian Package

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 9 10:16:25 PDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Luc Bourhis <luc_j_bourhis at mac.com> wrote:
>>> 0013-fix-to-support-LDFLAGS-in-use_enviroment_flags: not sure
>>> This seems done in orthodox a manner. However, this has the potential
>>> of wrecking havoc to Phenix on some machines where LDFLAGS is set in
>>> fancy ways.
>
>> This is also true with the other flag also, why do you treat LDFLAGS
>> differently than others ?
>
> In my experience, it is very unlikely a non-techie user would have
> permanently set CXXFLAGS or CCFLAGS but he may have set LDFLAGS in his
> .bashrc so as to help a program he installed to find the right shlibs. If
> that non-techie user then installs Phenix from source, esoteric bug reports
> may follow. But I may just be paranoid indeed.

I really hope non-techie users aren't installing Phenix from source.
In any case, won't this change be silent unless the
--use_environment_flags is passed to configure.py?  Installing Phenix
from source is done through a massive shell script that completely
obscures the messy details of configure flags - and definitely does
not include --use_environment_flags.  So although I also tend towards
paranoia regarding environment variables, I don't see this impacting
Phenix in any way.

-Nat