[cctbxbb] Debian Package

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 10 10:25:26 PDT 2012

On Fri, 10. Aug 08:23, Jeffrey Van Voorst wrote:
> Greetings,
Hello,

> A non gentoo issue, but definitely with debian is using recent
> versions of libraries.  On the debian systems where I work, the
> stable boost version is 1.42.0, and by the time a particular cctbx
> release might be considered stable it will probably be several years
> old, and then, suffer from inertia.  Maybe my view of software
> development is incorrect, but real work is needed to add functions
> to libraries and then after that having to wait for some time to
> actual use such a function on all platforms is quite frustrating. My
> question to the "debian group" is how can we/I help with the debian
> process to keep a recent version of cctbx marked as stable for each
> debian release?
OK, I'll try to answer although I guess Fred as Debian Developer can add more
here.
The process in Debian focuses on stability and this only comes with time.
But to make some thinks clear. We won't be keeping cctbx 2012-05-08 till the
next Debian release probably 2015. We will continue to upgrade to new upstream
versions and build them with Debians unstable version Sid.
Next stable will be Wheezy which probably will be released beginning of 2013.
Stable boost python will be 1.49.

If you really need faster releases and more recent software you can use Debian
based OS's like Ubuntu[1] or Aptosid[2], they auto import packages from Sid.

Another way to benefit from the packages is to build an own repository what
users can use. This can be done by everyone. I keep my own Personal Package
Archives on Launchpad[3]. This is only for Ubuntu. Another great way is to use
OpenSuse-Build-Service[4]. This is a very cool and free solution to build and
distribute your packages for multiple distro's (Fedora, openSuse, RedHat,
Debian, Ubuntu), although sadly no Gentoo or Arch-Linux yet. I'll be setting up
my own public personal build service when we are done myself since I have a few Django
projects which depend on cctbx.

kind regards
Radi

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/