[cctbxbb] Removal of Boost.Thread support

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 16 09:17:57 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Luc Bourhis <luc_j_bourhis at mac.com> wrote:
>> A secondary problem is that OpenMP is incompatible with the multiprocessing
>> module
>
> Could you enlighten me as to the exact nature of the problem?

Well, you were the one who figured out the explanation, so I'm just
paraphrasing (poorly) what you told me, but: conventional
multithreading does not play nice with OpenMP threads.  Since Python
multiprocessing (and/or threading, which is used by multiprocessing)
involves multiple threads (an implementation detail that will not be
obvious to the casual Python programmer, thanks to the GIL), it
crashes OpenMP.  I can dig up the original emails which explained this
if you want.

-Nat