[cctbxbb] Debian Package

Nathaniel Echols nechols at lbl.gov
Thu Aug 30 10:05:39 PDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Radostan Riedel
<raybuntu at googlemail.com> wrote:
> OK but I was talking in general not only about ccp4. cctbx is distributing a lot
> of bundled libraries which are not maintained by this project: boost, scons, antlr3c,
> ann, cbflib, mmdb, clipper, gl2ps.

This is because we want people to be able to install and use CCTBX
with minimal fuss, instead of wasting days trying to put together all
of the third-party libraries and dealing with the inevitable
compile-and-link problems.  (Even for the libraries like Boost or
SCons that are likely to be available on Linux distributions, there is
no guarantee that the version installed by "apt-get" et al. will
actually be compatible with our code.)  Most users don't like dealing
with this - and it is a huge barrier to adoption.

At any rate, there's no requirement that these packages be distributed
with CCTBX (and they're not part of the SVN repository on SF);
however, the binary bundles would be absolutely useless without them.

-Nat