[cctbxbb] Debian Package

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:27:54 PDT 2012

On Thu, 30. Aug 10:05, Nathaniel Echols wrote:
> This is because we want people to be able to install and use CCTBX
> with minimal fuss, instead of wasting days trying to put together all
> of the third-party libraries and dealing with the inevitable
> compile-and-link problems.  (Even for the libraries like Boost or
> SCons that are likely to be available on Linux distributions, there is
> no guarantee that the version installed by "apt-get" et al. will
> actually be compatible with our code.)  Most users don't like dealing
> with this - and it is a huge barrier to adoption.
>
> At any rate, there's no requirement that these packages be distributed
> with CCTBX (and they're not part of the SVN repository on SF);
> however, the binary bundles would be absolutely useless without them.
Yeah I understand the reasons if you distribute binary bundles but source
bundles?  Normally if I want to compile something myself I'm aware of the work
I'll have to do. Also cctbx is not mainstream as I understand it. It's for
software developers.  And I naively believe software developers know how to compile and
install software :D. End-Users are using Phenix or Olex2 etc. Olex2 for example is
bundling cctbx too so mainstream users are normally not confronted with that.
But I don't want to change your distribute system I'd just think it'd be nice to
have an additional minimal unbundled package for freaks like myself ;).

About the compatibility issues it would be nice to have a check
for a specific library and version.

How can I be sure it will work with a specific shlib version?
Are you just using your test system to evaluate? I ran the tests with my
system libraries and they worked fine is this a guarantee for me that it's working?

kind regards
Radi