[cctbxbb] Module versioning (was Re: Debian Package)

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:05:36 PDT 2012

On Fri, 31. Aug 13:31, Marcin Wojdyr wrote:
> CCP4 libraries don't increase soversion as recommended in the cited
> sources, because it would be additional thing to do and there are many
> things with higher priority.
> IIUC the primary benefit is that a few versions of the same library
> can be packaged and installed at the same time. When it's needed we'll
> bump soversion.
> Note that not all projects use so-version as autotools docs recommend.
> For example in Qt so-version == version. There are many libraries with
> 0.0.0 in my /usr/lib, which is just a default value in libtool, and
> many projects don't increase so-version on every ABI change, because
> if part of the ABI is experimental and changes often the version would
> go up very quickly.
> But if you come across any practical problems (with ccp4 libs) we'll
> try to help.
There is also this option in libtool[1]. This is pretty much what you describe
with QT. I don't know about the Debian Policy here. Maybe Fred could lighten me
up.
This option can also be used with my proposed cctbx patch.

I don't care if upstream is using 0.0.0 all the time. But it might happen that
somebody will complain if the API/ABI compatibility breaks. Most important part
of this number is "current". If ccp4 never changes the interface so 0 is fine
then we shouldn't have any issues here. But in the rare case that the interface
will be changed (with no backward compatibility) I'd be thankful if upstream
increments this.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Release-numbers.html#Release-numbers

regards
Radi