[cctbxbb] Documentation .... again

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Dec 10 14:52:26 PST 2012

I've been having this plan too for quite some time, and yes, I've never
had time to do anything (and most likely wouldn't in near future).
However doing it collectively may cut on amount of time and effort, thus
making it practical in the end.

I would plan it first. To start, I would say we need:

1) find out who wants to participate;
2) write a framework and agree on it. I see it as a list of bullet
points outlining the subjects that we are going to cover.
3) then we see who wants (and can) to cover what and do the first step:
everybody fills in his/her contribution.
4) then we collectively review the whole thing, and do a few iterations
of that until we are satisfied with what we have.

Additional thoughts:

I know it may make things slightly more complex, but I suggest that we
make sure that every example provided in the tutorial is exercised as
part of our routine tests. This will ensure that the effort we are going
to invest will not be obsoleted shortly after it's complete. Also, this
would imply the document may change if a cctbx functionality described
in it changed (so it's not a static paper). I did this for command line
version of phenix.refine several years ago, and it seems to work well
(though I'm not saying that we should do it the same way for this
tutorial!).

I have zero experience with Google Docs, so these couple of questions
are rather out of my ignorance. Does it allow to 1) insert formulas, 2)
put pieces of code that can be extracted automatically for exercising ?

Pavel