[cctbxbb] Documentation .... again

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Tue Dec 11 08:47:02 PST 2012

Hi David,

> I briefly explored reStructuredText a while ago, but concluded that it was great for code blocks, but didn't have rich enough math rendering capabilities. Now, revisiting the documentation I wonder if I was wrong? I would like to be able to do vectors and matrices, equation arrays with control over which lines are numbered, and labels to refer to equations in the text. If this is covered easily by reStructuredText then I nominate it as a serious contender.

I am an avid LaTeX user myself but I censored myself. My preferences would be LaTeX and then reST. But then you can do the following with the latter

Famous continued fraction: :math:`\pi \approx 3 + \frac{1}{7 + \frac{1}{15 + \cdots}}`

.. math::

  M = \left(\begin{matrix}
  \cos\phi & -\sin\phi & 0 \\
  \sin\phi & \cos\phi & 0 \\
  0 & 0 & 1
  \end{matrix}\right)

  N = \left(\begin{matrix}
  1 & 0 & 0 \\
  0 & \cos\phi & -\sin\phi \\
  0 & \sin\phi & \cos\phi
  \end{matrix}\right)

You can try to your heart content at http://www.tele3.cz/jbar/rest/rest.html

I don't remember how to number equations though.

Best wishes,

Luc