[cctbxbb] --enable-boost-threads flag

Richard Gildea rgildea at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 17:21:04 PDT 2012

As far as I can tell from the svn diff (
http://cctbx.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/cctbx?view=revision&revision=15762)
the only difference that passing --enable-boost-threads made was to include
the "-pthread" flag, and when not enabled the 'BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS'
option was passed instead to the compiler. I do not know if passing the
'BOOST_DISABLE_THREADS' option could cause a conflict when linking to a
program compiled with the -pthread option. Neither of these options are
passed to the compiler in the current cctbx.

Boost.Threads support was removed from the cctbx because it was only
experimental, and was superseded by better alternatives. Do you still
observe the same problem if you use a more recent version of the cctbx,
either svn or one of the nightly builds (http://cci.lbl.gov/builds/ - there
isn't really much distinction between "released" and "unreleased" builds)?

Cheers,

Richard