[cctbxbb] Module versioning (was Re: Debian Package)

Radostan Riedel raybuntu at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 5 06:45:17 PDT 2012

On Wed, 05. Sep 08:04, Jeffrey Van Voorst wrote:
> I should add that I am willing to do the work to setup pkgconfig
> files + tests (or use a similar tool, if one exists) for cctbx as
> having such tools would make it significantly easier for others to
> install my tools that depend on cctbx.
pkgconfig is very important. Although we use libtool for versioning shlibs in
Debian we don't support *.la files anymore. I also proposed a patch to create
pkgconfig files. Although I think that a simple replacement builder in scons
would be a better solution to creating pkgconfig files[1].

As for SCons. It's a nice build system but not that powerful like GNU Autotools.
It does not support elementary things like so-versioning yet but it's more
focused to be cross-platform. But I learned it's very flexible and you can do a
lot. Also look here[2].

kind regards
Radi

[1] http://www.scons.org/wiki/SubstInFileBuilder