[cctbxbb] building sphinx documentation

Jan Marten Simons marten at xtal.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Apr 19 05:10:54 PDT 2013

Am Donnerstag 18 April 2013 19:16:00 schrieben Sie:
> Hi Jan,

Hi Richard,

> I have attempted to build the sphinx documentation using
> dox.sphinx/build_docs.sh, and this appears to have run successfully and
> produced some html which shows the table of contents etc. However, I can't
> seem to find the documentation for any of the significant modules, e.g.
> cctbx/xray/structure.py. When I navigate to the link for the structure
> module within the xray package
> (dox.sphinx/_build/html/cctbx/cctbx.xray.html#structure-module), I see
> nothing other than a list of all the modules within the xray package. Am I
> missing something here?

Have you followed the instructions given in the comments at the top of
dox.sphinx/build_docs.sh?

Which version of Sphinx do you use? I'm using 1.1.3 regularly and get useful
documentation (I've attached the "makescript" I use to build cctbx and the
sphinx documentation. If you are interested in it I can also put the output of
the sphinx run on my system with current svn on webserver over here.). Has
your sphinx build completed successfully or did it abort (e.g. due to out of
memory* or due to other problems)?
Could you also check if build/dox.sphinx/cctbx/cctbx.xray.rst has all modules
listed?

> As a novice to using sphinx, I don't like to add significant documentation
> in sphinx style without being able to check via generating the
> documentation that what I have written is correct sphinx-speak.
I can totally understand this ;).

Cheers and hopefully we can get this working for you as well,
Jan

*) For me running sphinx with all those modules selected needs about 3.3 GiB
of virtual memory (RAM) and takes a few minutes to actually finish.

p.s.: Sorry didn't hit "reply all".