[cctbxbb] Native python unittests for the libtbx testing framework

Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk
Tue May 19 03:56:39 PDT 2015

HI All,

I would like to echo these comments - there are times when cctbx can feel "different at any cost" which continually makes it harder to encourage people to adopt it as a basis for doing methods development. We should welcome opportunities to make things more pythonic when they do not break what we have at the moment. The testing is one such example.

I appreciate that many of the "differences" are for a real reason, but equally saying "we don't do python unit tests, we do it *our* way" could easily be interpreted as being ... unhelpful ... to the new user or developer. I for one want these people to contribute to the project and make it better!

Here at Diamond we have completely committed to using cctbx for a really rather large range of things, but even so persuading other people here to also use it is harder than it really needs to be. Installation complexity is just one reason...

Best wishes Graeme