[cctbxbb] Git

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Mon Jan 11 08:45:18 PST 2016

Hi Graeme,

> Can we revisit the idea of moving to git for cctbx?

This brings to mind a question I have been asking myself since the subject has been brought forth. The idea Paul wrote about on this list was a move to Github. I guess some, perhaps many, developers will keep interacting with the repository using subversion. I am worried this would clash with the workflow of those of us who would go the native git way. By that I mean creating many branches and merge points, which one would merge into the official repository when ready. I am worried the history would look very opaque for the subversion users. I would even probably create a fork on Github, making it even more opaque for a tool like subversion. Has anybody thought about such issues? My preferred solution would be for everybody to move to git but I don’t think that’s realistic. At the other end of the spectrum, there is putting in place a policy to keep the history linear.

Best wishes,

Luc