[cctbxbb] Git

Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Jan 12 00:22:48 PST 2016

Hi Luc

We worried about some of this with DIALS but went ahead with it anyway and it seems to have worked out OK – there has been some confusion where people get it a bit of a knot from time to time, but we have moved OK and are also moving to a more native GIT way of working – this is where the real benefit lies I think.

I would think for CCTBX the argument would be even stronger, as it’s needed all over the place (dials, ccp4, phenix, olex2…) and so having the flexibility offered by much easier and more reliable branching would be very useful. We’ve found that a handful of git commands will do what most ex-svn people need, with additional flexibility like partial commits.

Clearly we *could* make a git cctbx anyway and sync it to the cctbx svn, but that would seem messy and not really the right way to do things…

Does anyone else hold an opinion? In particular are there any known blockers to this?

Thanks & best wishes Graeme