[cctbxbb] Git

Nicholas Sauter nksauter at lbl.gov
Tue Jan 12 12:36:40 PST 2016

Luc,

We discussed your "git add -p" suggestion in our group meeting just now,
and nobody here could explain why the command would be "git add" rather
than "git commit".  So if you want to commit all of your changes at once
you would use "git commit", but not "git add"?  Or is "git add" mandatory
anytime you want to commit any change and it is only the "-p" flag that is
optional?

The fact that we don't understand the paradigm and that we still have long
discussions about syntax indicates to me that we are not ready for the
switchover here at CCI.  More discussion may serve to remedy this.

Nick

Nicholas K. Sauter, Ph. D.
Computer Staff Scientist, Molecular Biophysics and Integrated Bioimaging
Division
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Rd., Bldg. 33R0345
Berkeley, CA 94720