[cctbxbb] Not wishing to raise this again but...

Luc Bourhis luc_j_bourhis at mac.com
Mon Jun 13 15:55:17 PDT 2016

> That's right.  In practice I bisect the date instead; that way I can issue the same command in all my svn source directories from sf.net and lbl.gov.  For example:
>
> svn update -r "{2014-03-08 18:00}”

You can do that with git as well but it looks more geeky:

git checkout `git rev-list -n 1 --before="2014-03-08 18:00” master`

although you could easily put that in a tiny script called checkout-date and then issue “git checkout-date”.

In any case, git bisect is easy to run in the simple case where you know HEAD is broken but 3c303a24 is good:

% git bisect start HEAD 3c303a24 —

This will checkout some version half-way through. You test and you find it’s broken:

% git bisect bad

If on the contrary, you find it works fine:

% git bisect good

Either of those commands will again checkout some version half-way through. Then you continue until git tells you the bisection is done.