[cctbxbb] Not wishing to raise this again but...

markus.gerstel at diamond.ac.uk markus.gerstel at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Jun 14 01:06:56 PDT 2016

Just would like to add to this that a git cctbx is actually the only way we can do stable DIALS releases.
Which is why we already maintain a complete git copy of the cctbx repository* for that purpose.
Moving to git proper would make it a lot easier to copy over patches from trunk/master to the release branch.

With regards to seeing which commit broke the build – we already run Jenkins for each cctbx commit, so if this causes test failures I will know straightaway. I think it was decided to not send the notification mails to this list, so at the moment only I get to see them. We could set up a separate spam list for these. I found that by testing early and often there is little need for historic investigations.

To retrospectively investigate when something was broken and you do not want to use git bisect but find commit hashes cumbersome there are two generic shortcuts you may find useful:
You can use git checkout HEAD^^^ to go three commits back from wherever you are at the moment. You can append ^^s to branch and tag names as well.
Obviously this does not scale nicely, so instead of master^^^^^^^(..) you can use git checkout master~20 to go to the 20th most recent commit.
And once you are done git checkout master brings you back home.

-Markus

*This is also true for bitshuffle, HDF5Plugin, eigen, tntbx, scons, gui_resources, clipper, ccp4io_adaptbx, ccp4io, boost, annlib_adaptbx, annlib, cbflib and even a repository containing all external dependency downloads.