[cctbxbb] Installation with distutils?

Marcin Wojdyr wojdyr at gmail.com
Mon May 9 04:43:58 PDT 2016

Hi Luc,
this would be a great thing to have, could you write more about your plans?
I guess you'll wrap the existing scons-based build system rather than
starting from scratch?
How are you going to implement "setup.py install"?

We considered adding setup.py here, but I thought it's not worth the
effort and it won't work well anyway.
I'd like to be proved wrong. My thinking was that
- redoing everything without scons is a lot of effort for little
benefit, and it would quickly get out-of-sync with the main build
system if it's not actively maintained
- wrapping cctbx/scons build system won't work well because distutils
options won't map well to the scons options. And additional layer of
indirection would be confusing. I mean distutils-like system that
doesn't really work like distutils could be more frustrating than
having to explicitly use cctbx build commands. But maybe I'm wrong
here.

Marcin