[cctbxbb] Scons for python3 released

Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk
Tue Oct 17 07:19:42 PDT 2017

Hi Robert

I think having more than one person independently look at the p3 problem is no bad thing - also with the geography it would seem perfectly possible for you / Nick to meet up and compare notes on this - it’s certainly something I would support.

Clearly there are a lot of things which could get caught up in the net with the p3 update - for example build system discussions, cleaning out cruft that is in there to support python 2.3 etc… however I did not read that Nick thought SCons3 was a waste of time - I think he was getting at the point that this is part of the move, and that there is also a lot of related work. Also that having p2 / p3 support for at least a transition rather than the “full Brexit” of no longer supporting p2 beyond the first date where p3 works would be good. I could imagine this transition period being O(1000 days) even.

I think the migration process is going to be a complex one, but doable. One thing I think we do need is to make sure that the code base as pushed by developers remains compatible with p2 and p3 - so perhaps extending find_clutter to check for things which only work in one or the other? Then developers would learn the tricks themselves and (ideally) not push p2-only or p3-only code, at least until post-transition. This I would compare with the svn to git move, which caused some grumbling and a little confusion but was ultimately successful…

Hope this is constructive, cheerio

Graeme