[cctbxbb] Misuse of libtbx/configure.py

Robert Oeffner rdo20 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Apr 4 09:40:19 PDT 2018

Hi,

I'm not sure when this has been put into configure.py as I have had
taken my eyes of the ball lately regarding Windows builds. But it seems
that during bootstrap build the configure.py step is now doing more than
just configuring modules. On my PC the excerpt below from stdout shows
an error during the configure.py step

Processing:
"c:\busers\oeffner\nightlybuild\x32\current\modules\dials\libtbx_refresh.py"
requires mock>=2.0, has 2.0.0
requirement orderedset is not currently met, package not installed
attempting install of orderedset...
Collecting orderedset
   Using cached orderedset-2.0.1.tar.gz
Installing collected packages: orderedset
   Running setup.py install for orderedset: started
     Running setup.py install for orderedset: finished with status 'error'
     Complete output from command
C:\Busers\oeffner\NightlyBuild\x32\Current\base\bin\python\python.exe -u
-c "import setuptools,
tokenize;__file__='c:\\users\\oeffner\\appdata\\local\\temp\\pip-build-smhifw\\orderedset\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize,
'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n',
'\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record
c:\users\oeffner\appdata\local\temp\pip-0seb8q-record\install-record.txt
--single-version-externally-managed --compile:
     running install
     running build
     running build_py
     creating build
     creating build\lib.win32-2.7
     creating build\lib.win32-2.7\orderedset
     copying lib\orderedset\__init__.py -> build\lib.win32-2.7\orderedset
     running build_ext
     building 'orderedset._orderedset' extension
     error: Microsoft Visual C++ 9.0 is required (Unable to find
vcvarsall.bat). Get it from http://aka.ms/vcpython27

Command
"C:\Busers\oeffner\NightlyBuild\x32\Current\base\bin\python\python.exe
-u -c "import setuptools,
tokenize;__file__='c:\\users\\oeffner\\appdata\\local\\temp\\pip-build-smhifw\\orderedset\\setup.py';f=getattr(tokenize,
'open', open)(__file__);code=f.read().replace('\r\n',
'\n');f.close();exec(compile(code, __file__, 'exec'))" install --record
c:\users\oeffner\appdata\local\temp\pip-0seb8q-record\install-record.txt
--single-version-externally-managed --compile" failed with error code 1
in c:\users\oeffner\appdata\local\temp\pip-build-smhifw\orderedset\
You are using pip version 9.0.1, however version 9.0.3 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the 'python -m pip install --upgrade
pip' command.
install failed. please check manually

My first concern with this approach is that the bootstrap process
doesn't stop. It carries on and eventually builds the Phenix software
suite. This may or may not be a broken build as it is not clear whether
the above failure to build orderedset was a showstopper for something.

Secondly, I thought that modules would not be installed anywhere else
than when building base components or when downloading sources. For a
small project it is a nice and sneaky solution to have certain build
steps second guessing what dependencies are missing and then installing
them "on the fly", if not covertly. But for a large project such as
CCTBX with several teams using that as a common framework this becomes
messy I would argue.

A quick and dirty fix for the above error might be just to put
vcvarsall.bat in the PATH environment. But that is not a solution since
bootstrap.py has been fashioned to use different versions of Visual C++,
some of which are not invoked through a vcvarsall.bat file.

I appreciate the need to install additional component modules for
python. But would it not be more tidy to install these during the base
step of the bootstrap process? Is there any reason why this cannot happen?

Regards,

Rob

--
Robert Oeffner, Ph.D.