[cctbxbb] scitbx without numpy - still supported?

Nicholas Devenish ndevenish at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:05:38 PDT 2018

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Nicholas Sauter <nksauter at lbl.gov> wrote:

> It was always the intention to support flex arrays in the absence of
> Numpy.  If there is some refactoring to be done, this principle should be
> preserved:  that Numpy is an optional rather than required dependency.

 Good to know - some of this code seems a little crusty (and I've found a
couple of bugs just trying to verify that it still works correctly).

Not sure about the wording in your second sentence.  At the time we
> developed flex, branching was not a code development mechanism we used.
> Furthermore, not sure why you say Numpy is "exclusively" used in the flex
> constructors?  Certainly there are numerous flex constructors that do not
> involve Numpy?

I meant a code branch e.g. "if", or a preprocessor "#ifdef" in this case.

I think I've gotten confused by some of the indirection in the class
definitions - the top level only adds the numpy constructor, and then
everything else is put in several levels down - and in some of my tests it
looked like the numpy routine was mistakenly doing all of the construction
(which ended in much the same results).

Nick