[cctbxbb] scitbx without numpy - still supported?

Robert Oeffner rdo20 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 24 09:43:41 PDT 2018

Hi,

I may be digressing here but my understanding is that newer versions of
boost no longer contain the boost/python/numeric.hpp file and therefore
the scitbx/array_family/boost_python/numpy_bridge.hpp cannot compile
with newer versions of boost.

I'm making very tiny steps compiling with the VS2017 compiler on Windows
which I believe is required for C++11 compliance. So far the problem
seems that older versions of boost do not like this compiler and scitbx
(or rather numpy_bridge.hpp) do not like newer versions of boost.

I guess that if numpy_bridge.hpp was adapted to not #include
<numeric.hpp> that would solve the problem.

Rob

On 24/04/2018 17:05, Nicholas Devenish wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 4:10 PM, Nicholas Sauter <nksauter at lbl.gov
> <mailto:nksauter at lbl.gov>> wrote:
>
>     It was always the intention to support flex arrays in the absence
>     of Numpy.  If there is some refactoring to be done, this principle
>     should be preserved:  that Numpy is an optional rather than
>     required dependency.
>

>  Good to know - some of this code seems a little crusty (and I've
> found a couple of bugs just trying to verify that it still works
> correctly).
>
>     Not sure about the wording in your second sentence.  At the time
>     we developed flex, branching was not a code development mechanism
>     we used. Furthermore, not sure why you say Numpy is "exclusively"
>     used in the flex constructors? Certainly there are numerous flex
>     constructors that do not involve Numpy?
>

> I meant a code branch e.g. "if", or a preprocessor "#ifdef" in this case.
>
> I think I've gotten confused by some of the indirection in the class
> definitions - the top level only adds the numpy constructor, and then
> everything else is put in several levels down - and in some of my
> tests it looked like the numpy routine was mistakenly doing all of the
> construction (which ended in much the same results).
>
> Nick

Robert Oeffner, Ph.D.
Research Associate, The Read Group
Department of Haematology,
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
University of Cambridge
Cambridge Biomedical Campus
Wellcome Trust/MRC Building
Hills Road