[cctbxbb] indexing success rates

Aaron Brewster asbrewster at lbl.gov
Sat Feb 3 00:37:10 PST 2018

Hi James, thanks.  I looked at random image 15 and after trying a bunch of
stuff it indexes fine if I use indexing.method=fft3d.  The default for
stills processing is fft1d, so I find this super interesting.

For what it's worth, I pretty much never process stills without a target
cell.  I generated ~30 random images using your script and indexed them,
then I got the unit cells with "dials.show *refined*.json | grep cell".
They were all about the same.  So I re-indexed random image 15 using fft1d
but I also specified known_symmetry.cell=50,60,70,90,90,90 and it indexed
fine.

So, either indexing.method=fft3d or known_symmetry.cell=50,60,70,90,90,90
is sufficient to index random image 15.  Certainly for experimental data I
would recommend using known_symmetry as the results are always better.
However, I'd like to look deeper at fft1d vs fft3d at some point.

Cc'ing dials-support.

Thanks!
-Aaron