[cctbxbb] [Dials-support] indexing success rates

James Holton jmholton at lbl.gov
Mon Feb 5 14:14:17 PST 2018

I can definitely see the advantages of a second pass with a consensus
cell.  There will always be weak, split or contaminated images that
could benefit from the prior information.  But in this case I cranked up
the spot intensity to be just shy of overloads and we have beautiful,
clearly-single-crystal patterns.  If you can't index these then
something is wrong.  I don't like comparing software packages like this
because it is hard not to sound insulting to at least one group of
authors, but I hope we can all accept that if we have a clear and
high-quality image and both mosflm and XDS can get the correct cell from
it, then there is no reason why DIALS shouldn't.

I have now prepared a 2-image example based on seed 56.  In this case
rotating the crystal by 0.01 degrees makes the difference between
dials.stills_process going from confidently arriving at a very wrong
cell in fft1d,fft3d,real_space_grid_search mode to instead arriving at
the correct one. In both orientations mosflm and xds arrive at the
correct cell.  Files here:

http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/bugreports/dials_index_020418.tgz

I believe the synthetic images do help nail down where the problem might
be. It can't be finding too few spots, because the spots are clear.  It
can't be splitting, ice, zingers or other outlier spots, because I
didn't put those in.  It can't be the beam center because its in the
center of the image and the spot separation is nice and wide. It has to
be something in the indexing or cell reduction algorithms.

Comparing the logs dials_000.log vs dials_001.log, the problem seems to
arrive as early as the "Candidate basis vectors".  A 4th ~8 A basis
vector is found and seems to win out over the others for reasons that
aren't really obvious to me.  Where is the code for this step?

-James