[cctbxbb] [git/cctbx] master: rename test files, remove them from run_tests (23a4a6fe4)

Pavel Afonine pafonine at lbl.gov
Mon Mar 5 05:06:38 PST 2018

Hi Markus, hi Graeme,

thanks Markus for detailed email and willingness to help!

It's great if you find an alternative testing option useful, use it
consistently within specific module and all contributors to that module
are happy with that!

Speaking of myself.. I'm just looking at all the amount of tests that I
wrote since 2003 and struggle to image what needs to happen to a)
motivate me to learn 'something else', b) to get used to it, and c)
re-write all tests in CCTBX and Phenix that I've accumulated over these
years! Especially that I'm totally happy with the way things work
currently. I'm sure "a)" and "b)" are 'trivial', but.. I simply have
other things to do! And yes, "c" is less trivial..

Clearly there are better technologies! But see above. As many of us, I'm
trying to balance between doing science, writing code and supporting
users. This makes me think trice before diving into new adventures
unless I absolutely must.

I appreciate that learning "approx_equal" is something new to newcomers.
But it is as new as "xray.structure", "flex" or "miller.array", and I
imagine this is perhaps the smallest concern compared to the rest of the
learning curve!

All the best,
Pavel