[cctbxbb] forcing building boost_python early in SConscript

Robert Oeffner rdo20 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 16 09:07:21 PST 2018

We are working on a newer version of Phaser. The new SConscript file for
Phaser imports features from boost_python. Therefore it is currently not
straightforward to build it since an empty build directory does not yet
contain the boost_python module to be imported by SConscript (or
python). So SCons crashes when it reads the new Phaser SCsonscript
stating that boost_python cannot be imported. Currently our workaround
is to first build CCTBX alone and then subsequently to build Phaser.

My question is if it is possible to specify dependencies in
cctbx_project/boost_adaptbx/SConscript to force building boost_python
early on. On Windows boost_thread and a few other libraries are built
before other SConscript files are read. So I have put some
Depends(boost_thread,  boost_python) andDepends(boost_thread,
boost_python_meta_ext)
statements into cctbx_project/boost_adaptbx/SConscript. These do seem to
force building the boost_python.lib and .dll files. But building the
boost_python_meta_ext python module fails with the error:
boost_adaptbx\meta_ext.cpp(14): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include
file: 'boost_adaptbx/type_id_eq.h'

It's possible that I'm not using SCons as it's supposed to be used. Let
me know if anyone has a suggestion on how to force building boost_python
before other SConscript are read.

Many thanks,

Rob

--