[cctbxbb] Python 3 status

James Holton jmholton at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 4 12:07:16 PDT 2018

It has been brought to my attention that little attempt at humor could
have been considered offensive. So clearly that that attempt failed. My
sincere apologies to anyone who was offended.

  In all seriousness, I hope it is neither humorous nor offensive that I
do appreciate all the hard work that goes into maintaining CCTBX, and we
all know that 2.7->3.0 is coming. I am at best a minor contributor, but
I think we can all identify with the crisis of time management between
maintaining what you have and preparing for the future. None of us are
lazy or bored. Quite the opposite. Graeme began this thread asking for
"any thoughts", and my two thoughts are:
1) machine learning has in no way abandoned python 2.7
2) my limited sense of the community is one of reticence when it comes
to python3.

I think that reticence comes from being already very busy maintaining
one copy of your code, and knowing that maintaining two copies is going
to be at least twice the work. Am I wrong in thinking there will be a
period where CCTBX supports both python2.7 and python3 ? Once
maintenance load is doubled, how much is left for new developments?
These are not easy questions. My advise is one of caution, but one voice
in the crowd does not speak for the whole. Graeme is right in thinking
that discussion is in order, and I agree that face-to-face discussion is
much less prone to offense than digital channels.

Back into lurk mode now...

-James