[cctbxbb] Allocators

Paul Adams pdadams at lbl.gov
Tue Sep 25 13:24:22 PDT 2018

Thanks Graeme,

  this sounds like a good practical approach to me.

  Cheers,
	Paul

> On Sep 25, 2018, at 8:28 AM, Graeme.Winter at Diamond.ac.uk <Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> Hello again,
>
> In light of the lack of responses, I am thinking it may be better for this to work in a branch (for cctbx and DIALS) and get to the point where we can demonstrate with a clear use case the performance improvement to try and avoid this being too abstract. As such I propose making branches in both cctbx and dials called something like “straw-man-eiger-performance” for this work to be explored, where we first get to the point where we have actually improved the performance then consider as a separate task back porting the changes to the main repositories. This will allow us to make the changes necessary without worrying at every step about possible repercussions for other platforms.
>
> Once we have demonstrated the benefits of the changes I would anticipate a review process where we discuss the best way to merge them back. I would like to keep this in the open - i.e. in a branch on the central repositories - so that people who are interested can track the work.
>
> Any objections?
>
> Many thanks Graeme
>
>> On 21 Sep 2018, at 14:02, Graeme.Winter at Diamond.ac.uk <Graeme.Winter at diamond.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> In keeping with the spirit of
>>
>> https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/wiki/cctbx-contributors-guide
>>
>> we would like to revisit the allocator work now Phenix 1.14 is out in the wild - however since we now know that this needs to be done we are interested in other points of view people have on ways to do this, and options people would like to have. It is important to note that we have no intention of changing the default behaviour, but we do want to be able to use customised allocators with flex arrays e.g. for handing out memory of well known and repeatedly used sizes (say, 16 M pixel double arrays) or allocate in specific areas for NUMA systems such as xeon phi.
>>
>> We prototyped this a while back and stepped the changes back out again to enable the phenix release to proceed smoothly, so we have a pretty good idea of the sorts of things we would expect to do however will welcome input if you would like additional features.
>>
>> As a baseline, we are talking as a parameter that PHENIX are no longer supporting CENTOS 5 32 bit (since ISTR this was a constraint before)
>>
>> Any thoughts? Appreciate a number of folks will be travelling back after the PHENIX workshop.
>>
>> Many thanks Graeme
>>
>> --
> [...]

Paul Adams
Division Director, Molecular Biophysics & Integrated Bioimaging, Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Division Deputy for Biosciences, Advanced Light Source, Lawrence Berkeley Lab
Adjunct Professor, Department of Bioengineering, U.C. Berkeley
Vice President for Technology, the Joint BioEnergy Institute
Laboratory Research Manager, ENIGMA Science Focus Area

Building 33, Room 347
Building 978, Room 4126
Tel: 1-510-486-4225, Fax: 1-510-486-5909
http://cci.lbl.gov/paul

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road
BLDG 33R0345