[cctbxbb] jupyter notebook

Aaron Brewster asbrewster at lbl.gov
Tue Apr 2 15:47:00 PDT 2019

Hello, I was able to get Jupyter to work generally following these
instructions:
https://github.com/ExaFEL/exafel_project/tree/master/jupyter

I've adapted those instructions to use a cctbx standalone binary build.  I
did this on a linux centos 6 machine on which I had remote access and I
also had conda installed.  Given an empty directory $cctbx and that the
latest dev version is 1725:

   - cd $cctbx
   - wget
   http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_build/dev-1725/cctbx-installer-dev-1725-intel-linux-2.6-x86_64-centos6.tar.gz
   - tar -xvf cctbx-installer-dev-1725-intel-linux-2.6-x86_64-centos6.tar.gz
   - cd cctbx-installer-dev-1725-intel-linux-2.6-x86_64-centos6
   - ./install --prefix=$cctbx
   - cd ../cctbx-dev-1725/
   - conda activate `pwd`/conda_base
   - conda install jupyter
   - source cctbx_env.sh
   - libtbx.ipython notebook --no-browser --port=8889
   - Note the token produced.

Then on my local machine:

   - ssh -N -f -L localhost:8888:localhost:8889
   <remote_username>@<remote_server>
   - Open localhost:8888 in my browser and enter the token.
   - Create a new notebook and test with the line import cctbx

Let me know if it doesn't work :)
-Aaron