[cctbxbb] Fwd: Conda/DIALS 1.14.5 source build with --use-conda does not work

Nicholas Devenish ndevenish at gmail.com
Fri May 24 08:12:48 PDT 2019

(Forwarding this manually as apparently my Diamond address isn't on cctbxbb)

Hi All,

On 24 May 2019, at 14:12, David Waterman - UKRI STFC <
david.waterman at stfc.ac.uk<mailto:david.waterman at stfc.ac.uk>> wrote:

> In the process, I discovered that the source builds we point to from
> https://dials.github.io/installation.html don't work with --use-conda
> because the paths to various packages are out of date.

This seems to be to be a fundamental problem with the conda implementation?
Let’s try to reproduce an old build from, say, 1st march: the point in
cctbx_project at which dials 1.14 split off. This is
https://github.com/cctbx/cctbx_project/commit/35652e06564da7ff989500a6d929bc595f69040f
.

Try reproducing this point:

git clone git at github.com<mailto:git at github.com>:cctbx/cctbx_project.git
modules/cctbx_project
( cd modules/cctbx_project/ && git checkout
35652e06564da7ff989500a6d929bc595f69040f )
ln -s modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/bootstrap.py .
./bootstrap.py base --use-conda

—> many "An HTTP error occurred when trying to retrieve this URL.”

This means that with the current conda implementation it’s impossible to
guarantee reproducibility for any build beyond the past few days, without
lots and lots of manual work reconstructing the versioning out of the file
list dump.

Because the version constraints aren’t kept with the repository, this means
that a source distribution is not nearly enough to recreate any given
release.

This seems like a problem?

Nick