[cctbxbb] map grid sizes

Ten Eyck, Lynn lteneyck at sdsc.edu
Thu Feb 20 17:28:09 PST 2020

FFT's require as many small prime factors as possible (which one of two reasons powers of two are preferred), but another factor is that the Hermitian symmetry of the electron density map (F(h,k,l) = F*(-h,-k,-l)) means not only that the F(0) term is real, but also (if there are an even number of points) the F(N/2) term is real, since we are dealing with finite discrete transforms rather than integral continuous transforms. This give the implementor a choice -- either pack the extra real number in the imaginary part of the F(0) term, or create an extra scratch location at the end of the (complex) array. In the first case you have to do some special case code, and in the second case you have to burn some memory.

Back in the 1960's and 1970's when I wrote my FFT routines for crystallography memory was VERY expensive so I optimized memory use. It is easier to stick the extra location at the end of the row, but you have to account for it in the indexing calculations.

Lynn Ten Eyck