[cctbxbb] (not really cctbx: PHENIX release bundle content: .o files)

Robert Oeffner rdo20 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jan 25 06:44:31 PST 2021

I'm reasonably sure that the script that produces the phenix installers
used to strip away object files before packing files into installers. I
guess Billy would know more.

Rob

On 25-01-2021 13:53, Winter, Graeme (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI) wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Could not think of a better place to ask this question
>
> Installed a PHENIX update this morning and noticed it is quite a
> substantial download - hard to avoid, in this modern day. While
> unpacking I noticed it contained a lot of object files - totting it up
> seems to be ~ 450 MB of .o files which are probably not useful for the
> average end user.
>
> Just wondered, are these worth stripping out before making the release
> bundles?
>
> I note the same is true for DIALS so I am not claiming some moral high
> ground here & also
>
> https://github.com/dials/dials/discussions/1563
> <https://github.com/dials/dials/discussions/1563>
>
> … looks like my colleagues decided to pick up on this & happened to agree
>
> Just thought worth asking
>
> Cheers Graeme
>
> --
>
> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential, copyright
> and or privileged material, and are for the use of the intended
> addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee or an authorised
> recipient of the addressee please notify us of receipt by returning
> the e-mail and do not use, copy, retain, distribute or disclose the
> information in or attached to the e-mail.
> Any opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the individual
> and not necessarily of Diamond Light Source Ltd.
> Diamond Light Source Ltd. cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any
> attachments are free from viruses and we cannot accept liability for
> any damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses which
> may be transmitted in or with the message.
> Diamond Light Source Limited (company no. 4375679). Registered in
> England and Wales with its registered office at Diamond House, Harwell
> Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0DE, United
> Kingdom

Robert Oeffner, Ph.D.
Research Associate, The Read Group
Department of Haematology,
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
University of Cambridge
Cambridge Biomedical Campus
The Keith Peters Building
Hills Road