[cctbxbb] Is there a schedule for the python3 migration or can cctbx.python already be built to be/use a python3 interpreter?

Jan M. Simons marten at ifk.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jul 9 04:57:31 PDT 2021

Hi Oleg,

Am 09.07.21 um 13:16 schrieb Oleg Dolomanov:
> Hi Jan,
>
> which way have you been using to build cctbx?

I've been following https://cctbx.github.io/installation.html

(as https://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_docs/installation.html seems to be the
older/outdated documentation which should perhaps redirect to the newer
one instead.)

Is this not the right documentation on how to build it on a bare bones
linux distribution? (I'm using sabayon, a gentoo derivative)

So right now I've re-tried to execute an up-to-date bootstrap.py with my
system supplied python3.7 and on first attempt it still built python2.7
and then failed with

Installing h5py 2.10.0...
Read and write HDF5 files from Python
  log file is /home/jan/Arbeit/cctbx-dev/base_tmp/h5py_install_log
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File
"modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/install_base_packages.py", line
1682, in <module>
    installer(args=sys.argv, log=sys.stdout)
  File
"modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/install_base_packages.py", line
256, in __init__
    self.build_dependencies(packages=packages)
  File
"modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/install_base_packages.py", line
782, in build_dependencies
    getattr(self, 'build_%s'%i)()
  File
"modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/install_base_packages.py", line
1220, in build_h5py
    confirm_import_module='h5py', extra_options=["--no-binary=h5py"])
  File
"modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/install_base_packages.py", line
694, in build_python_module_pip
    log=log)
  File
"modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/install_base_packages.py", line
359, in call
    return call(args, log=log, verbose=self.verbose, **kwargs)
  File
"/home/jan/Arbeit/cctbx-dev/modules/cctbx_project/libtbx/auto_build/installer_utils.py",
line 55, in call
    raise RuntimeError("Call to '%s' failed with exit code %d" % (args, rc))
RuntimeError: Call to '/home/jan/Arbeit/cctbx-dev/base/bin/python -m pip
install  "h5py==2.10.0" --no-binary=h5py' failed with exit code 1
Process failed with return code 1

Then calling
$ python3 ./bootstrap.py
again it is still compiling, but from the paths I suppose that it's
continuing to only build the python2.7 version (like before).

So, I suppose I'm missing some bit of documentation on how to get it
working with python3.

Thanks for your support
Jan