[cctbxbb] Windows icc builds

Robert Oeffner rdo20 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 27 01:55:45 PDT 2021

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with just using the Visual Studio
Community compiler? I reckon they are be agnostic towards hardware and
will not "accidentally" cause worse performance when executing your
build on an AMD processor.

Rob

On 26-05-2021 19:57, Winter, Graeme (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI) wrote:
> HI Folks
>
> Following from a DIALS issue about it being slow on Windows
>
> https://github.com/dials/dials/issues/1666
> <https://github.com/dials/dials/issues/1666>
>
> I have fallen into a rabbit hole and I am trying to build DIALS (and
> hence cctbx) on Windows with the intel compilers from oneAPI - however
> I keep stumbling over linking errors with e.g. undefined symbol __floor
>
> Should I abandon hope or has someone done this?
>
> I know this is not a new path to tread as windows_icc was a defined
> combination on the SConscripts
>
> I had had to hack some bits around a little presumably to accommodate
> 2021 versions of icc compilers, but this felt like I was going down a
> bad path
>
> Would welcome input from anyone who can help - currently windows DIALS
> is a pretty poor relation
>
> It is noteworthy however that parallel operation does now appear to
> work on Windows with easy mp :-)
>
> In other news - has anyone considered adding clang support with clang
> coming from conda? Could make for more consistency in the builds… I
> had a look at how one may go about doing this but rapidly found myself
> in SCons hell.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help & all the best Graeme
>
> --
>
> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential, copyright
> and or privileged material, and are for the use of the intended
> addressee only. If you are not the intended addressee or an authorised
> recipient of the addressee please notify us of receipt by returning
> the e-mail and do not use, copy, retain, distribute or disclose the
> information in or attached to the e-mail.
> Any opinions expressed within this e-mail are those of the individual
> and not necessarily of Diamond Light Source Ltd.
> Diamond Light Source Ltd. cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any
> attachments are free from viruses and we cannot accept liability for
> any damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses which
> may be transmitted in or with the message.
> Diamond Light Source Limited (company no. 4375679). Registered in
> England and Wales with its registered office at Diamond House, Harwell
> Science and Innovation Campus, Didcot, Oxfordshire, OX11 0DE, United
> Kingdom

Robert Oeffner, Ph.D.
Research Associate, The Read Group
Department of Haematology,
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
University of Cambridge
Cambridge Biomedical Campus
The Keith Peters Building
Hills Road