[cctbxbb] WSL2 (was: Windows icc builds)

Viktor Bengtsson viktor.bengtsson at mmk.su.se
Thu May 27 04:44:31 PDT 2021

Hi Graeme and Kay,

I'll add my 2 cents to this as well. I have been using WSL with VcXsrv since February 2018 for all Linux-primary software needs and DIALS in particular. Before that I tried using DIALS both on Ubuntu through Virtualbox and compiled for Windows directly on my computer.

Based on my experience, I would suggest reconsidering if native Windows support is still relevant. At the same time I do know that there are some parts that still don't really translate well into WSL2, so maybe a Windows native application still is worth the time. Otherwise a link to the xdswiki should be enough support, in particular once WSL2 can be installed on all Windows 10 computers with a simple "wsl --install" in PowerShell or CMD with admin privileges. The fact that the original github issue is based on the WSL2 version being faster than native Windows version also supports that WSL2 might be a better version of "Windows support".

If the point of a Windows version is to make it simple to install for Windows users, then maybe it might be possible to write a installation script that performs all relevant steps, including installation of WSL2 if needed?

tl;dr: I agree that WSL2 is a good enough solution, and would add vcxsrv as an additional option if you only want the Xserver and not the full MobaXterm.

Kind regards,
Viktor