[phenixbb] Judging AutoSol Output

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Sun Apr 30 12:42:20 PDT 2006

Hi Angela,

Peter makes several excellent points. Here are a few more notes... The file
to look at first is "AutoSol_summary.dat"  The final lines in your
AutoSol.output are the same as that file.  Here are the useful lines and
how to interpret them

>>Solution # 1   SCORE:110.810151796 Dataset #1   FOM: 0.34 ----------------

110 means 110 sigma above random -> very likely correct

>>Solution 1 using HYSS on ec6046s-peak.sca_ano_1.sca. Dataset #1
>>Dataset number: 1
>>Dataset type: sad
>>Datafiles used: ['ec6046s-peak.sca']
>>Sites: 16 (Already used for Phasing at resol of 2.22)      Refined Sites:
>>16  Sites in each NCS group: 4  NCS correlation: 0.661541164
>>Experimental phases in: solve_1.mtz_0
>>Density-modified phases in: resolve_1.mtz_0
>>HA sites (PDB format) in: ha_1.pdb_0
>>Model in: resolve_1.pdb
>>   Residues built: 362

Out of 588, this is reasonably good

>>   Side-chains built: 11
>>   Overall model-map correlation: 0.49

Not that great a correlation, but ok at this stage

>>Scaling logfile in: dataset_1_scale.log
>>HYSS logfile in: ec6046s-peak.sca_ano_1.sca_hyss.log
>>Phasing logfile in: solve_1.prt_0
>>Density modification/build logfile in: resolve_1.log_0
>>
>>  Score Type:     Resolve CC    Resolve R     Skew   NCS
>>Raw scores:       0.655        0.492        0.157        0.662
>>Z-scores:        38.788       24.380       14.565       33.077

all Z-scores are very high -> strong solution.  Particularly convincing is
the NCS correlation of 0.66 and Z-score of 33.

Why didn't solve find all 16 sites?  Solve uses a patterson-based method
for sites, AutoSol uses direct methods. Could be that in this case the
patterson method didn't work well.

I hope that helps!
-Tom T