[phenixbb] Phenix 1.24 and Fedora Core 5_64

Paul Adams PDAdams at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 9 10:42:51 PDT 2006

Hi Nick,

   the most likely problem is the network configuration on your new
machine. For example, if the machine is configured using DHCP, but the
name it gets also matches another machine in the static DNS. You can try
to run phenix using the -l option (for localhost).
   As a check, does everything work ok if you run something like
phenix.refine?

   Cheers,
	paul

Nicholas Noinaj wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have loaded PHenix 1.24 onto a system with Fedora Core 5 (ix86_64).  THe computer has an AMD X2_64 4400+ processor, 2 GB RAM, 3X120GB Sata HDs, ASUS A8N-Sli Premium Mobo, and an Nvidia 7600 GT graphics card.  When I install PHenix, everything seems to load okay, except it seems to take a bit longer to install than with RHEL3 did, stalling for bit on one of the modules (sorry, can't remember which one exactly).  Then after a while, the installation completes without any errors and I setup the environment as instructed for /bin/bash.  I then type [phenix] to start the program, but again nothing happens for a very long time (30 minutes or more), and then the Phenix interface finally loads.  But then, everything is very sluggish and takes a very long time to load or even stops responding (setup/parameter windows in particular).
>
> I have installed Phenix 1.24 on RHEL3 and not experienced any of these problems, so I am a bit clueless.  FUrther, I am a Linux 'newbie' and this was my first time installing Fedora Core 5 (64), so it is possible that i haven't installed everything that Phenix needs, yet I did not experience any problems at all with the FC5 installation, ran smoothly.
>
> If you have any suggestions or insights as to what my problem or mistake may be, I thank you in advance for your feedback and assistance.  I am eager to get Phenix purring away on my latest PC.
>

> Cheers,
> Nick
>

> the environment as instructed for /bin/bash.  I then type [phenix] to start the program, but again nothing happens for a very long time (30 minutes or more), and then the Phenix interface finally loads.  But then, everything is very sluggish and takes a very long time to load or even stops responding (setup/parameter windows in particular).
>
> I have installed Phenix 1.24 on RHEL3 and not experienced any of these problems, so I am a bit clue
>
> Nicholas Noinaj
> University of Kentucky College of Medicine
> Department of Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry
> The Center for Structural Biology
> Biomedical Biological Sciences Research Building, Rm 236
> 741 S. Limestone
> Lexington, Ky 40536
> Lab:  859-323-8183
> Cell:  859-893-4789
> Home:  859-228-0978
> noinaj at uky.edu
> noinaj.com

Paul Adams
Senior Staff Scientist, Physical Biosciences Division
Head, Berkeley Center for Structural Biology
Deputy Principal Investigator, Berkeley Structural Genomics Center

Building 64, Room 248
Tel: 510-486-4225, Fax: 510-486-5909
http://cci.lbl.gov/

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory