[phenixbb] lower limits on grid spacing/binning

Terry Lang terry at lego.berkeley.edu
Mon Oct 29 18:29:13 PDT 2007

Hey Everyone,

       I have been told by several crystallographers that the general
rule of thumb for grid spacing when generating a map  is one third the
resolution (eg If your crystal structure has a resolution of 1.2 A, your
grid spacing should be 0.4).  Is there a mathematical reason why this
ratio should be maintained or is this simply a holdover from slower
computers with lower memory?  More importantly for my application, is
there a lower limit on how fine the grid spacing can be?  In other
words, is there a lower limit at which one is oversampling the data for
a particular resolution?  Any information and/or references would be
greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Terry

--