[phenixbb] pseudo-translational symmetry refinement

Stephen Graham stepheng at strubi.ox.ac.uk
Wed Apr 30 02:32:54 PDT 2008

Question for the experts:

In a case like this with strong translational NCS, might one get value
from using a least squares refinement target rather than maximum
likelihood?  As far as I understand it (which ain't so far) I would
assume that least squares would be less influenced by the systematic
variation in intensities of the reflections than maximum likelihood
would.

I note that phenix.refine has the option of least squares "target =
*ml mlhl ml_sad ls".  Can anyone comment on whether this has helped
the refinement in cases with translational NCS?  (I myself have been
luck enough to avoid such cases thus far!)

Cheers,

Stephen