[phenixbb] Clashes problem

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Wed Feb 13 14:21:45 PST 2008

Hi Stephen,

the answer - I don't know. Optimizing the weight you can use different
things, like Rfree, divinations from ideal stereochemistry, LLG, or
combination Rfree and divinations from ideal stereochemistry, etc...
Rfree seemed to me the most obvious and easy, but again, I have no
strong feelings or experience what is better (and what "better" actually
means in this context).

What do you mean by "less stable/reliable" ?

The procedure that phenix.refine uses is very simple... The overall
target is (for xyz refinement; similar for B-factors):

Etotal = wxc * wxc_scale * Exray + wc * Egeom

wxc is determined as in CNS (ratio of gradient norms), wc = 1.0,
wxc_scale is adjustable parameter which is by default set to 0.5 or so.
In most of cases at "normal" resolutions the automatic weight is good.
If not, then you need to either play with wxc_scale manually or have
phenix.refine do it for you automatically by using optimize_wxc. And
what "optimize_wxc=true" does is just a grid search: it tries different
wxc_scale values and chooses the one that produces the lowest Rfree. I
don't see why it could be unstable or not reliable. Obviously, one can
use any other criterion instead of Rfree.

Cheers,
Pavel.