[phenixbb] ligand refinement

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Thu Feb 21 18:49:16 PST 2008

Hi Christine,

I think you need to do this (Ralf please correct me if I'm wrong):

1) Run phenix.elbow to create a cif file for your ligand (if you don't
have one):

% phenix.elbow model.pdb --do-all

elbow will go though your pdb file and create a dictionary file for
whatever is not present in the standard library. One of the output cif
files with "all" (xxx_all.cif) in its name is the file that you need to use.

2) Now you need to tell phenix.refine that your ligand is covalently
bonded to the macromolecule:

% phenix.refine model.pdb data.mtz xxx_all.cif may_params.par

where may_params.par defines the bond and contains these lines, for example:

refinement.geometry_restraints.edits {
   bond {
    action = *add
    atom_selection_1 = chain X and resname HIS and resid 117 and name NE2
    atom_selection_2 = resname LIG and resid 98 and name C
    distance_ideal = 1.45
    sigma = 0.02
  }
}

You can also define an angle. Look "Definition of custom bonds and
angles" in phenix.refine manual for more information:
http://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/refinement.htm