[phenixbb] ordered solvent - parameters?

Pavel Afonine PAfonine at lbl.gov
Thu Jul 31 16:13:17 PDT 2008

Hi Mark,

phenix.refine finds potential water peaks looking at mFo-DFc map
(primary map). Then it sorts these peaks by the distances (water-water,
water-other). Then it checks for hydrogen bonding. Finally, it verifies
that the peaks are present at 2mFo-DFc map (secondary map) at given
sigma. Finally finally, the water B-factors (and occupancies, if
requested) are refined separately from refinement of other parameters in
order to get a reasonable starting point for the next refinement
macro-cycle. The procedure is smart enough about cases when your
structure has explicit hydrogen atoms.

What is crucial is that this procedure is built into refinement, so the
water molecules are updated (added / removed / refined) during
refinement and NOT as a separate step.

There are various options to refine water with isotropic or anisotropic
B-factors, refine water occupancies, etc.

We still need to do a better job on NOT picking water into ligand
density. This is in our to-do list and will be done at some point.

There are a few slides in one of the most recent phenix.refine
presentation that outline most of what I wrote above:

http://cci.lbl.gov/~afonine/aca2008_knoxville_neutron/phenix_refine_2008_may_31_ACA_final.pdf

Please let us know if you have any other questions,
Pavel.