[phenixbb] PHENIX on OS X Intel 10.5 "need access to screen" error

Ben Eisenbraun bene at crystal.harvard.edu
Mon Jun 30 15:26:51 PDT 2008

Howdy,

I have PHENIX 1.3-rc2 built on an OS X Intel 10.4 machine.  It runs fine
there, but using the same installation mounted via NFS, I get this
error:

This program needs access to the screen.
Please run with 'pythonw', not 'python', and only when you are logged
in on the main display of your Mac.

I dug around in the program a bit to see if there was a script testing
for the DISPLAY setting, but this seems to be generated in the wx-python
bits:

build/mac-intel-osx/base/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/site-packages/wx-2.8-mac-ansi/wx/_core.py

contains the error message, as do a couple of other files in the /wx/
hierarchy.

The PHENIX 1.3-rc2 I built on OS X 10.4 PPC works fine on the 10.5 PPC
machines, so I'm a bit surprised it's failing on the Intel side.

Does anyone know if a PHENIX built on 10.5 will work on a 10.4 machine?
If it was really necessary, I could install versions built on both 10.4
and 10.5, but I'd prefer to avoid it if possible.

Any insight on fixing this would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

-ben

--
Ben Eisenbraun
Structural Biology Grid                           Harvard Medical School