[phenixbb] problem with a twinned data set

Peter Zwart PHZwart at lbl.gov
Sat Mar 1 16:25:21 PST 2008

Hi Pascal,

A couple of points.

1.  If you cannot find an MR solution in P222 but you can in P2 pg's,
try pg P2. Twin law you have to use is missing two fold along a,b or
c.

2. Equivalent to the four-fold pseudo merohedral twinlaw you mention,
is the two fold 'k,h,-l'. Use that one instead when trying to refine
in pg p222. This is a bug/feature in phenix.xtriage. It is a pseudo
merohedral twin law and you will not find it in merohedral lookup
tables (which is why we don't use lookup tables).

3. When 'true' poing group is P2, there are 3 possible P2's you have
to try. When indexing in LABELIT, MOSFLM or D*TREK, you will have
three unique monoclinic choices (rather then a single one). You should
try all.

4. For the P222 case, make sure you don't bite yourself in the neck by
assuming specific absences / spacegroups. Try all! When 'absent data'
is twinned with 'non absent data', one can be easily fooled.

HTH

Peter