[phenixbb] ADP high variance

Schubert, Carsten [PRDUS] CSCHUBER at prdus.jnj.com
Thu Mar 20 05:55:21 PDT 2008

Daniel,

this appears to be a common thread on this BB, since phenix seems to handle these things quite differently than CNS and refmac(?). A while back I had a similar exchange with Pavel about this. He pointed me to some literature which highlights some of the challenges associated with restrained B-factor refinement using medium to low resolution data. From what I understand the implementation in PHENIX is based on the ideas of Ian Tickle.
Here is also a paper I found useful:
http://www.phenix-online.org/papers/ccp4_july_2005_afonine.pdf

That should give you some pointers were to look for tweakable parameters.

HTH

	Carsten

> Does anyone know a publication which covers theoretical B-factor distributions?

Here are a few links related to your question that came to my mind first:

D. E. Tronrud
J. Appl. Cryst. (1996). 29, 100-104
Knowledge-Based B-Factor Restraints for the Refinement of Proteins

F. L. Hirshfeld
Acta Cryst. (1976). A32, 239-244
Can X-ray data distinguish bonding effects from vibrational smearing?

S. PARTHASARATHY AND M.R.N. MURTHY
Analysis of temperature factor distribution
in high-resolution protein structures
Protein Science (1997), 6:2561-2567.

http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/ccp4bb/2003/msg00432.html

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind0801&L=ccp4bb&T=0&F=&S=&P=52510