[phenixbb] R/Rfree from phenix.autobuild

Graeme Winter graeme.winter at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 27 08:54:13 PST 2008

Hi Folks,

Quick question about R/Rfree from phenix - I ran the autobuild and it
kindly built pretty much all of the visible residues, and it gave me
the following output:

SOLUTION  CYCLE     R        RFREE     BUILT   PLACED
 1         1      0.22        0.23      169       169
 2         2      0.21        0.23      170       170
 3         4      0.22        0.23      170       170

Now, I'm not one to complain about good results, but I did feel that
the Rfree looked a little close to the R factor - usually I would
expect a difference of maybe 4-5%. Is there a reason for this that I
am missing? The model seemed to fit very nicely, closely corresponded
to the PDB entry and the waters were pretty good. There is no NCS (one
copy in the ASU) and the phases are from SeMet mad data from Autosol.

Resolution is ~1.6A, if that is any help.

Just noticed this and thought it was interesting. I am used to
Arp/wArp for automated tracing, which typically gives a bigger
difference...

Many thanks,

Graeme