[phenixbb] phenix.autobuild

Tom Terwilliger terwilliger at lanl.gov
Wed Oct 22 15:32:56 PDT 2008

Hi Matt,

I think that your run is the "one-good-model' protocol, in which case
there are by default 5 runs of rebuilding the model and they are then
combined into a single model. Autobuild one-good-model does take a
long time, but this seems a bit longer than usual. This could be due
to the simulated annealing that you are doing...

I had a look at our standard structures in the PHENIX structure
library and pulled out some examples to give you some examples of how
long the procedure can take. These do not include simulated annealing:

rh-dehalogenase rebuilds 290 residues at 2.8 A  and takes 3 hours
(starting R/Rfree =  0.17/0.23 ; final =  0.15/0.21)

a2u-globulin at 2.4 A, four chains each with 157 residues, takes 13
hours to run rebuild-in-place (R/Rfree= 0.31/0.35 starting; 0.20/0.24
final)

apoferritin at 2.0 A; 173 residues; takes 26 hours  (R/Rfree=
0.23/0.26 starting; 0.22/0.25 final)

So overall I'd say your case is on the long side but is probably doing
what it is supposed to do.  To check it out, have a look at your log
file

AutoBuild_run_1_/TEMP0/AutoBuild_run_1_/AutoBuild_run_1_1.log

which is the first of 5 rebuild-in-place runs on your model.
(AutoBuild runs itself in the TEMP0 subdirectory, yielding all the
AutoBuild_run_1_ runs there, then the resulting models get combined
into a final model which goes in top AutoBuild_run_1_/overall_best.pdb).

See if the first run has improved the model and the R/Rfree...Your
starting R/Rfree before rebuilding will look like this:

Refining model:  unrefined.pdb_1
Model: refine.pdb_1  R/Rfree=0.31/0.35

..and the end of the file will look like this:

SOLUTION  CYCLE     R        RFREE     BUILT   PLACED
  1         2      0.22        0.26      573       0
  2         3      0.21        0.24      577       0
  3         4      0.21        0.24      598       0

so in this case (a2u-globulin) this single rebuild-in-place works
well...then combining the 5 models from 5 such runs gives the final R/
Rfree of 0.20/0.24 I mention above.

I hope that helps!
All the best,
Tom T

Thomas C. Terwilliger
Mail Stop M888
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545

Tel:  505-667-0072                 email: terwilliger at LANL.gov
Fax: 505-665-3024                 SOLVE web site: http://solve.lanl.gov
PHENIX web site: http:www.phenix-online.org
ISFI Integrated Center for Structure and Function Innovation web site: http://techcenter.mbi.ucla.edu
TB Structural Genomics Consortium web site: http://www.doe-mbi.ucla.edu/TB