[phenixbb] poor phasing

Francis E Reyes Francis.Reyes at Colorado.EDU
Mon Apr 27 08:29:14 PDT 2009

On Apr 27, 2009, at 9:20 AM, Peter Zwart wrote:

>>    R_abs_twin observed data   : 0.012
>>    R_abs_twin calculated data : 0.300
>>
>> Is R_abs_twin the same thing as Robs_twin in Lebedev, Vagin,
>> Murshudov. Acta Cryst. (2006). D62, 83-95 ?
>>
>> And I guess I have rotational pseudo symmetry with Rcalctwin < 1/2.
>
> Correct.
>
>> Interestingly when I run xtriage when the data is scaled into P 41 21
>> 2 I get the following stats
>> R vs R statistic:
>>   R_abs_twin = <|I1-I2|>/<|I1+I2|>
>>   Lebedev, Vagin, Murshudov. Acta Cryst. (2006). D62, 83-95
>>
>>    R_abs_twin observed data   : 0.012
>>    R_abs_twin calculated data : 0.521
>>
>> since r_abs_twin or r_obs_twin ~= 0, that's an indicator for perfect
>> twinning.
>
> when data is scaled in P 41 21 2 and you still get twin laws, it means
> your cell still has higher symmetry.
> what are your unit cell parameters?

Sorry Peter

I err'd. When the data is scaled in P 41 21 2, xtriage reports the
summary twinning analysis as follows:

Twinning and intensity statistics summary (acentric data):

Statistics independent of twin laws
   - <I^2>/<I>^2 : 1.971
   - <F>^2/<F^2> : 0.792
   - <|E^2-1|>   : 0.731
   - <|L|>, <L^2>: 0.484, 0.318
        Multivariate Z score L-test: 1.741
        The multivariate Z score is a quality measure of the given
        spread in intensities. Good to reasonable data are expected
        to have a Z score lower than 3.5.
        Large values can indicate twinning, but small values do not
        necessarily exclude it.

No (pseudo)merohedral twin laws were found.

Patterson analyses
   - Largest peak height   : 5.297
    (corresponding p value : 0.86379)

The largest off-origin peak in the Patterson function is 5.30% of the
height of the origin peak. No significant pseudotranslation is detected.

The results of the L-test indicate that the intensity statistics
behave as expected. No twinning is suspected.

In this case, the only indicator for perfect twinning is 'Large values
can indicate twinning, but small values do not necessarily exclude
it.' ?

Francis Reyes M.Sc.
215 UCB
University of Colorado at Boulder

gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 67BA8D5D

8AE2 F2F4 90F7 9640 28BC  686F 78FD 6669 67BA 8D5D